07024 Dentist Shares Benefits of Sugar Free Gum
Sugar-free gum is a valuable tool in caring for your teeth. Not only does it help to protect your teeth in between meals but it also increases saliva production which is important. Here’s what you want to know.
How Sugar-Free Gum Helps
After you’ve eaten, your teeth are susceptible to the acids in your mouth. This produces plaque and eventually leads to tooth decay. When you don’t have time to brush after a meal, chewing sugar-free gum helps to reduce these acids.
It is also helpful to chew after you eat or drink foods that lead to dental erosion. This includes fruit juices, sodas and citrus foods. Chewing gum for twenty minutes is enough to remove these dangerous acids from the teeth.
As an added bonus, sugar-free gum helps to freshen your breath, making it a great alternative when you are out and don’t have your toothbrush.
What about Xylitol?
Xylitol is a natural sweetener that is being used in newer versions of gum. This helps prevent plaque build-up and could even reverse the decay by adding minerals to your enamel.
Tips for Using Sugar-Free Gum
Here are some tips to help you get the most from your gum chewing:
• Chew for twenty minutes after meals.
• You can chew as many times per day as you wish.
• Keep children under the age of seven from chewing gum.
• Those with dentures or braces should avoid using gum as it will stick to the teeth. This is also true of some other dental work.
• Remember to still brush your teeth at least twice a day to keep your mouth healthy.
• In addition to chewing gum, make sure you floss once a day.
• Drink plenty of water in addition to chewing gum to help remove acids from the teeth.
• Whitening sugar-free gums only help to remove surface stains on the teeth.
• Ask your dentist for a recommendation of the best gum to use.
If you have further questions about the use of sugar-free gum for your dental health, be sure to speak with your 07024 dentist. Anderson Dental can be reached at (201) 461-5400, we look foward to hearing you!